Thursday, May 14, 2009

May 2009

Updates- Well, I think I should update my blog at least once a month. Sounds reasonable... I'll see what I can do.

I just celebrated 1 1/2 years cancer free - hard to believe. I know it! Remember I did chemo Jan - March 08 after I was cancer free with my mastectomy in Nov 07. Now I go for follow up appointments every three months with my oncologist. I went last week and all things are looking good and I am healing well. My Rheumatologist has released me since I started training I am not having the aches and pains. I am proud to say that my hard work with my trainer has really paid off. I have lost 8 pounds and 1 inch off my waist, 1 inch off my hips, 1/2 off my thighs and 1/4 inch off my upper arms. More importantly my fat mass % has gone down and my lean muscle mass % has gone up. My goal is to be healthy, to take the best care of my self possible.

My bone scan in March showed that my bone density is greatly decreasing - this is due to my surgical menopause in June 08 and chemo in the first quarter of 08. SO I am taking Fosamax one time weekly and given up DR Pepper. I know - you are thinking Laura you were the poster child for Dr. Pepper. You drank it 24/7. Well, the phosphates in dark sodas leach the calcium from your bones. I am 37 years old and plan on living to 87 or more, and I love these bones. I don't know what I would do with out them. It was not easy - it took about 6 weeks to quit craving them. I don't know if I could drink one now if I had to.

School is coming to an end. William 3 days for his preschool. David three weeks. It is a run, run, run time of year. We are all doing well. It is hard to believe that both my guys will be in school full time next year. They will do great. They love learning.

I am praying about what I am to do next year. Where is God leading me? What does He want me to do? What is my purpose in life? I love the job I have now - wife, mom, daughter... so many opportunities.

William's preschool is closing due to some changes of focus in their churches ministries. I am looking into and prayerful considering opening a MDO program. The church we are currently going to is purchasing land this month and moving towards building in the next two or so years. So I am looking into the logistics, facilities, partnerships - opportunities in the area. There is so much to consider. My goals are serving the children of our community and perhaps giving time/space to Wonders and Worries and Breast Cancer Resource Center. I love those two organizations. They have been such great help throughout my walk.


How do I fulfill God's will and use my gifts He has given me?
I'll let you know when I find the path. We are looking forward to a summer full of swimming, friends, family - and of course LEARNING!

In my Guide Posts Daily Inspirational Book - one of the reading was discussing a personal mission statement. The one the author found in Genesis stuck with me and I'd like to share it with you. "And you will be a blessing" So in all that I do may I be a blessing, may I serve God and others by following His will. It is so simple and yet so profound too.

It is getting late and I hope that I have not rambled on and made no sense at all. I just keep putting up date blog on my list of to do items and not doing it. So here it is almost midnight but I feel better now that you know I am doing great and appreciate that you cared to look.

Love and prayers to you all,
Thank you for your friendship, support, and love,
Laura